The word plumbing is generally associated with repair and management of water pipes but the fact is that plumbing is also done for various gas pipelines as well. Whether it is checking a domestic gas pipeline or repair and maintenance of gas lines used in homes or factories we need trained technicians. A person who specializes in installation or maintenance of gas fittings ranging from regulator valves, pipes, stoves, burners to gas water heaters is called a gas plumber. Professionally trained technicians not only install these fittings but also are also well qualified to ensure that this pressurized gas is distributed with utmost safety. There is always a risk associated with gas plumbing, so you always need a professional and experienced gas plumber, and not any amateur ones, to get your things right.
Some safety measures one must take when dealing with Gas appliances
- Test and repair leakages in gas pipelines, usually identified by the bad odor or soap water bubble test
- Adjustment gas pressure as necessary
- Install gas bottle regulators and changeover valves as required.
- Installing gas meters, valves and quality pipe work.
- Ensuring that all safety checks are done before commissioning any gas appliance.
A gas plumber may work as an individual contractor or may work for a municipality who conducts regular safety inspections and also does installation of various gas fittings. If the gas appliances are working efficiently then the by product which they release are generally carbon dioxide and water vapor. However, if there is a defective appliance then it may release carbon monoxide, which can get very risky for any individual. If you hire a gas plumber, then you must be aware whether he conforms to the safety standards or the gas regulations of your state. Moreover, the certificates and past working experiences are also other factors which you must consider.
How to handle gas appliances?
- Always get a new gas appliance installed by an authorized agent or technician
- It is recommended to conduct regular safety checks for all gas appliances
- All installation and checks should only be done in line with the product manual provided by the manufacturer.
- Ensure all external outlets are clear and there is no vegetation etc so as to make sure that the combustion gases can be removed effectively.
- Make sure that there is adequate space so that to allow air to flow freely around the gas appliances.
- Proper ventilation in the area where gas cylinders are stored
- While using gas cylinders in mobile vehicles make sure they are secured and cannot be tampered with.
- Proper display of warning signs describing the hazards it may cause in case it is tampered.
- The cylinders should always be stored in upright position unless they are labeled to be stored otherwise.
- Lastly keep the surroundings around storage area of gas free from flammable sources or materials.
The plumber must know the evacuation procedure, in case there is an emergency:
When selecting a gas plumber always make sure that he has a license which authorizes him to do gas fitting or plumbing work. Since hiring an unlicensed plumber or doing gas repairing work on your own can be dangerous. And in case of a mishap the warranty given by manufacturer on the appliance and insurance cover may also become void. Moreover, a reputed gas plumber must also know how to evacuate a place in case there is a fire hazard or any accident due to leakage of gas.
So whether you are a home maker or a factory owner, ensuring safety of yourself and your property by above guidelines or go through this link to know more about professional gas plumber.